Choosing the right commercial window or door can be complicated. With so many options out there, how do you know what’s best for your business? We’ve put together a guide to the most popular commercial windows and doors to help you make your selection.
Aluminum windows have aluminum frames around single or multiple panes of glass. They are strong and are often used for large window openings. They are known for their durability and long useful life, as well as being easy to maintain.
Vinyl windows are constructed with vinyl frames around single or multiple panes of glass. They are the most common type of window used in commercial applications, usually because of their economical price point. They are durable, easy to maintain, and the frames can be painted to match any décor.
Glass storefront is most commonly used as a business entrance. It’s made up of a metal framework with glass doors and panes of glass as part of an exterior wall. Usually, storefront is 10 feet tall or less.
Wood doors are made with a thin wood veneer that is fastened around an insulated core made
of composite or solid wood. These doors are usually used for interior openings, as the wood skin
is not made to withstand water or weather.
Steel doors are constructed of a polyurethane or polystyrene core with a steel skin surrounding it. They are most commonly used as exterior doors and for openings where security is a concern. They are known for their strength and durability.
Aluminum doors have a plastic insulative core surrounded with aluminum sheets. They are often paired with an aluminum thermal frame for improved energy efficiency. They can be used as exterior doors and are lightweight and easy to maintain.
Fiberglass doors are constructed with two layers of fiberglass skin on a foam core with a polyurethane frame. They are durable and easy to maintain.
Hollow metal doors
Hollow metal doors have a steel frame with steel panels on both sides. When paired with a hollow metal frame, they create a fire-rated assembly that can be customized to provide up to two hours
Galvanized steel doors
Galvanized steel doors start with a polystyrene or rigid honeycomb core that is covered by carbon steel with a zinc coating. These doors can be factory painted and are best used in corrosive atmospheres.
Window and door questions
What is the most energy efficient commercial window?
Low emissivity, or low-E, windows use a coating on the glass that makes them an energy efficient option for commercial buildings. The coating reduces the transmission of infrared and ultraviolet rays into interior spaces. This keeps these spaces cool, reducing the energy needed to cool the building
What is the difference between residential and commercial windows?
Commercial windows often have larger, thicker frames than residential windows. Also, commercial windows require a higher wind rating, and the hardware is of a higher quality than residential windows.
How long do commercial windows last?
With proper installation, care, and maintenance, commercial windows can last from 15-20 years.
Things to consider when choosing a commercial window type
- Select the frame – Each frame material has its pros and cons. For example, steel window frames are the most durable, but they’re also the most expensive. Wood clad aluminum window frames have a wood interior for aesthetic appeal with the durability of aluminum on the exterior. You may want to consult with a designer to help make your selection.
- Tinting – Window tinting can help with energy efficiency, privacy, and sun glare. Low-E is the most commonly used in commercial windows because of its energy saving properties.
- Style and color – There are a few things you’ll want to consider about the look of your windows. First, look at the dimensions of your windows, their width and height. Next, what colors does the window frame material come in? Which one best fits with your building and its style/colors? You’ll also want to consider whether the window frame’s design fits in with the rest of the commercial property.
- Local building codes – Make sure that the windows you’ve selected meet local building code requirements and any architectural requirements imposed by historic districts or business neighborhoods.
What size is a commercial door?
Most commercial doors are 36 inches wide by 80 inches tall.
What are the safest commercial doors?
Metal doors are the best door when security is a concern. They are resistant to fire, natural elements, and break-ins.
Things to consider when choosing a commercial door
- Purpose – Know the purpose of the door and how it will be used. For example, is it for a lobby entrance or storefront? Does it need to be appealing to the people walking through it? Is it going to be a customer entry point, or will it just be used between two rooms?
- Maintenance – Commercial doors get a lot of use. Maintenance will be required to keep them working correctly. The amount of maintenance is typically related to wear and tear, so keep this
in mind as you select each door.
- Budget – Budget is always a factor. Ask about alternative materials to ensure that you’re getting the most out of your spend.